How Can Essential Oils Help You De-Stress And Relax?
Do you need a natural way to de-stress? For centuries people have used essential oils to enhance mood and improve health. If you need help to relax and release tension, take a look at how these aromatic compounds can help.
How Do Essential Oils Work?
Unlike medications, you don't have to eat or drink essential oils to feel the benefits. Instead, you inhale the aromatic compounds through a diffuser or apply the oils topically onto your skin (using a carrier oil such as sweet almond or olive oil).
The fragrant oils:
- Stimulate the sense of smell. As you inhale the oil's scent, it affects the body's olfactory (sense of smell) system.
- Stimulate the brain. The essence of the oil affects the limbic system in the brain. The limbic system connects to your emotions as well as the physical side of your body and can impact blood pressure, heart rate, breathing, hormonal balance, and the stress reaction.
- Offer a variety of effects. Different oils impact the body and mind in different ways.
Keep in mind, this is the general pathway essential oils take in the body. The specific effects depend on the oil and the individual who uses it.
How Do Essential Oils Reduce Stress?
Essential oils can affect your mood in an array of ways. Again, the impact the oil has differs by person. Every oil user is an individual and has their own mental, emotional, and physical needs. Even though you may not experience every effect, stress-reducing oils may:
- Boost your mood. The better mood you're in, the less stress or anxiety you'll feel.
- Help you to sleep. If nighttime stress keeps you awake, some essential oils can increase drowsiness and help you to get a good night's rest.
- Reduce anxiety. Some oils can calm nerves and help you feel less anxious.
Now that you have a general understanding of how essential oils work, it's time to turn your attention to which options are right for you. Essential oils offer a variety of benefits, including stress reduction. If you're not sure which oil to use, you may need to try a few. Firsthand experience can help you decide which oil (or blend) meets your individual emotional needs.
What Essential Oils Reduce Stress or Anxiety?
Whether you've had a long day at work, are anxious about an upcoming change, or have general tension, essential oils can reduce stress and soothe your emotional state. Before you choose an oil to sniff and de-stress with, you need to consider which scent is right for you.
The top oils for stress reduction include:
- Lavender. The fragrant flowering plant's oil is a common pick for people who want to calm anxiety and relax.
- Valerian. This sleepy-time herb's oil has roots in ancient use. Along with promoting sleep, valerian may also help calm frayed nerves.
- Neroli. The citrus-smelling oil comes from the blossoms of the bitter orange tree. The sweet, fresh scent is known for its calming effect.
- Ylang-ylang. This oil from the Cananga odorata tree flower may help reduce stress.
- Bergamot. This orange-scented oil can improve your mood and calm anxiety.
- Chamomile. You drink chamomile tea before bed to relax. The scented of diluted chamomile oil (when diluted and applied to the body or infused into a bath) can help you de-stress.
- Clary sage. Used as a medicinal herb, the oil from this plant may reduce anxiety.
Along with these oils, jasmine, holy basil (tulsi), sweet basil, rose, vetiver, geranium, and lemon balm may also aid in relaxation and de-stressing.
Are you ready to explore the world of essential oils? Explore Medicine Flower's Essential Oils today!